How to make a tincture
by Kyle Hall on Nov 02, 2022
A tincture is a concentrated extract of a plant or other material in alcohol. Tinctures are typically made by soaking the plant material in alcohol for several weeks and then straining it out. The resulting liquid is then taken in small doses.
Tinctures are a convenient way to take herbs and other natural remedies. They are easy to make and can be taken anywhere. Tinctures can be used to treat a wide variety of ailments.
To make a tincture, you will need:
-Herbs or other plant material
-Alcohol ( vodka, gin, or brandy)
-A glass jar with a tight fitting lid
-A dark colored glass bottle with a dropper top
1. Choose your herbs. Any herb or plant material can be used to make a tincture. Some common herbs used in tinctures include lavender, chamomile, and ginger.
2. Fill your jar with herbs. Fill the jar about ¾ of the way full with your chosen herbs.
3. Cover the herbs with alcohol. Pour alcohol over the herbs until the jar is full.
4. Seal the jar and let it sit. Seal the jar tightly and store it in a cool, dark place for 4-6 weeks. Shake the jar occasionally to help extract the plant material.
5. Strain the tincture. After 4-6 weeks, strain the liquid into a dark colored glass bottle using a strainer or cheesecloth.
6. Label the tincture. Be sure to label the tincture with the name of the herb, the date it was made, and how long it will last. Store the tincture in a cool, dark place.
Tinctures can be taken orally or applied topically. When taking a tincture orally, it is important to start with a small dose and increase gradually as needed. The standard dose for adults is 1-2 droppersful, 3 times per day. Tinctures can be taken directly from the bottle or diluted in water or juice.
To apply a tincture topically, simply apply a few drops to the affected area. Tinctures can also be added to lotions or salves for a more targeted application.
Tinctures are a great way to take advantage of the healing properties of plants. With just a few simple ingredients, you can make your own tinctures at home.